SharePoint on-premise migration refers to the process of moving data, content, and settings from a SharePoint on-premise environment to a different environment, such as another on-premise environment, SharePoint Online, or a hybrid environment.
This migration process is necessary when organizations need to upgrade their existing SharePoint environment, move to a different hosting solution, or consolidate multiple on-premise SharePoint farms into a single environment.
Steps Involved in a SharePoint on-premise Migration
The steps involved in a SharePoint on-premise migration include:
- Planning: Define the scope of the migration, determine the content to be migrated, and plan the migration timeline.
- Preparation: Check the compatibility of the source and destination environments, set up the destination environment, and test the migration process.
- Data Migration: Copy the content, data, and settings from the source environment to the destination environment.
- Validation: Verify that the data has been successfully migrated and that the destination environment is functioning correctly.
- Post-migration activities: Finalize the migration, update the URLs, and configure the environment as needed.
The process of SharePoint on-premise migration can be complex, especially when migrating a large amount of data, so it’s recommended to use a migration tool or engage a professional migration services provider to ensure a smooth migration process.