“Our organization has a site developed in SharePoint 2007 and now, we want to migrate it to SharePoint 2013. I need suggestions on what will be the best practice of doing this. Also, the client is not having 2010 license. Please, can anyone tell is it possible to do a direct SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013 migration? Thanks in advance.”
Are you also looking answer to the same query? Does the problem seem familiar to you? If yes, then no need to worry. The issues can be resolved easily and it is not that difficult as it looks like. You only need to go through the write-up with full attention. So, let us get started.
Oftentimes, it happens with the users that they are currently using SharePoint 2007. But, as the advent of new features and technology, they think of SharePoint to SharePoint migration. Although, it is believed by many users that it mandatory to switch from 2007 to SharePoint 2010 and then, further proceed towards SharePoint 2013 migration. However, it is not true. The post deals with the best possible solution for moving from SharePoint 2007 to 2013.
Reasons for SharePoint to SharePoint 2013 Migration
The causes which lead any user to transfer the data from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013 are explained in the upcoming section.
SharePoint 2010 is not built with the advanced features that it can handle the current as well as future business needs of any user or organization. Moreover, there is not even a single feature that is exhibited by SharePoint 2010 but, not by 2013. As the matter of fact, with the passage of time as the business moves forward, there is a need for unique and advanced features. They are offered by SharePoint 2013 like business intelligence and content management.
Also, moving to 2010 and then to 2013 is not a wise idea. This will cause many problems including financial losses. It is due to the reason that SharePoint 2010 has glitches related to the usability and discoverability. All these issues were fixed in 2013 version of SharePoint.
Using 2010 as the intermediate between 2007 and 2013 results in the double training of the employees. First, training is given on SharePoint 2010 to introduce the new version and then, SharePoint 2013.
Migrating and Upgrading: Two Different Terms
As defined by the Microsoft, a user can perform SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013 migration but, cannot upgrade from one version to another.
In upgradation: The version of an application is upgraded when the entire database is moved from one version to another. In other words, the data is physically transferred from the older version to the newer one.
In migration: The data from any version are copied and then moved. In simpler words, the database of the user stays intact at some place. All the data consisting of attributes, structures or non-structured data are derived in any other database but, in exactly same manner. However, the original copy of the database is not moved at all. It remains as it is.
Workaround Steps For SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013 Migration
If a user wants to migrate from SharePoint to SharePoint, it is a two-step process:
- Moving from SharePoint 2007 to 2010
- Moving from SharePoint 2010 to 2013
- Let us discuss each step separately.
Step1: Moving from SharePoint 2007 to 2010
- You should make sure that the SharePoint 2007 and Service Pack 2 is upgraded up to date. At the next step, launch upgrade checker. This will display a list of all the customization you did to upgrade to SharePoint 2010
- Afterward, generate a temporary farm which is executing on SharePoint 2010 to perform SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013 migration
- The entire data should be backed up and then restored at any other temporary place which is created in the SharePoint version 2010
- The replica of the database created should be attached to the SharePoint 2010 location.
- Once you are done with moving from SharePoint 2007 to 2010, the SharePoint 2007 can be put offline.
Step2: Moving from SharePoint 2010 to 2013
To perform SharePoint to SharePoint 2013 migration, a user has to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Same as the step 1, you have to create a backup of the data to be exported, make a temporary location on SharePoint version 2013 and restore the desired databases here
- Employ all the customization and establish web applications
- Check all your programs to make sure that they are running properly
Alternative Solution for SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint Migration
To upgrade SharePoint 2007 to 2013 directly, users can go for the automated tools like SharePoint Migrator. This is the professional solution to migrate the SharePoint database to same or other SharePoint database. The product is efficient enough to produce the desired results in a short duration of time.
The Final Verdict
SharePoint 2013 offers many advanced features which are necessary for present and future business needs. This is due to the reason that users want to perform SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013 migration. Both manual and automated methods are explained to move from one version to another. A user can choose any one depending on the needs.
Latest posts by Andrew Jackson (see all)
- Process to Restore SQL Database From Backup In Single User Mode - January 3, 2020
- Looking Forward to Decrypting SQL Server Database Objects? Know the Right Way - February 15, 2019
- Know SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery Options - January 24, 2019