You might have seen comments on blogs/wiki page, or you can have seen comments when you checked in or publish a document in SharePoint. These comments are used to track the changes or communication for that change.
Similar functionality can be achieved on a SharePoint list, I have seen many companies saving their procurement details or other data on SharePoint lists and they add workflows or alerts to track changes, I have seen the requirement where user need to track changes on the list items in form for comments or notes as who added that comment and when that was added. It’s just like adding comments on a support ticketing system
This can be easily achieved in SharePoint list with minimum effort. You need to enable versioning on the list and enable a multiline text field to append changes.
Below are the steps to enable append text or comments on a list item:
- Go to list settings, click on versioning settings and click on item versioning settings to Yes
- Now go to the sharepoint list where you want to add the tracking, if you already have a multiline field then edit it or create new multiline field and click on select the option to Append changes.
- Now you can edit any existing list item, add the value in comments fields and you can see the output in form of comments. Click on the view entries link on list to see the detail.
Latest posts by Adnan Amin (see all)
- SharePoint folder deletion error: Cannot delete/checked out issue - March 5, 2019
- Get list of all hidden lists in a SharePoint Site - February 27, 2019
- SharePoint Modern UI: Using Sites web part page - February 19, 2019