In this blog post I will share the details on creation of Multi server SharePoint Farm which include the Application server and Web Front End servers. I prepared this post in a way that you can create single server to multi server SharePoint farm and can create Dev, QA or Production environment for SharePoint server with latest updates.
SharePoint Setup and Managed Service Accounts
Add .NET Windows Server Feature on SharePoint Servers
Make sure you have installed you added .NET windows feature on all SharePoint Servers, if not then follow Add .NET Windows Server Feature on Windows Server for details.
SQL Server installation
Make sure you have installed SQL Server on a separate machine, follow SQL Server 2012/R2/2014/2016 Installation Step by Step for details.
Pre-requisite Setup and Installation
Log into the SharePoint Application and Web front ends as the SPAdmin account. Check post for details on SharePoint Installation/Service accounts.
Pre-requisites must be setup/installed on all the Web servers and the Application servers.
Before you run the Microsoft SharePoint Products Preparation Tool, check for server updates on Microsoft Update and install any available updates to ensure the server and operating system is up-to-date.
Once you have finished applying the available updates and patches to the server, you are ready to run the Microsoft SharePoint Products Preparation Tool.
You need to install software prerequisites first before the installation of SharePoint Server 2016, the prerequisites installation can ask for restart multiple time. Start the prerequisites installation as shown below:
On next page, you can view the license agreement which you have to accept if you want install, you have to accept it as you having no other choice. Prerequisites installation will take some and will also ask for restart. After restart, re-run the installer file and run prerequisites, this will again ask for agree on terms. Again, continue it and wait for the installer to complete prerequisites.
After completion, you can see the installation status. Installation status in my machine is listed below, all installed successfully except .NET framework.
- Application Server Role, Web Server (IIS) Role: configured successfully
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client: was already installed (no action taken)
- Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server: installed successfully
- Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 SP1 (x64): installed successfully
- Windows Server AppFabric: installed successfully
- Microsoft Identity Extensions: installed successfully
- Microsoft Information Protection and Control Client 2.1: installed successfully
- Microsoft WCF Data Services 5.6: installed successfully
- Cumulative Update Package 1 for Microsoft AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server (KB2671763): installed successfully
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2: was already installed (no action taken)
- Update for Microsoft .NET Framework to disable RC4 in Transport Layer Security (KB2898850): installation error
- Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2013: installed successfully
After installation, restart the machine and you are good to install SharePoint 2016.
Install SharePoint on all Web Front end and Application servers.
Install SharePoint binaries on the Application Servers on the QA/Test environment and the Production Environment.
To start, logon to the server using the SharePoint Admin account. Running the install and configuration wizard under this account will ensure the process provision databases on SQL Server with the main SharePoint Admin account as the database DBO.
1- Run the SharePoint setup media.
2- On the SharePoint Start page, click Install SharePoint Server.
3- On the Enter Your Product Key tab, enter your product key, and then click Continue.
4- On the Read the Microsoft Software License Terms tab, review the terms, select the “I accept the terms of this agreement” check box, and then click Continue.
5- On the File Location tab, change the installation path to the secondary drive, and then click Install Now.
6- When the Setup program is finished, a dialog box prompts you to complete the configuration of your server. Clear the Run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard now check box.
7- Click Close to finish Setup.
8- Restart the Server
9- DO NOT RUN THE PRODUCTS CONFIGURATION WIZARD
Before you start, verify that you are logged on and running as the SharePoint Admin account.
Important: The initial server that you run the wizard on to create a new farm will be the default server name to access the SharePoint Central Administration site. For example, if the initial server is SPProd01, then Central Admin will be http://SPProd01:8181.
For latest SharePoint 2016 Feature Pack installation check SharePoint Server 2016 Feature Pack Installation
Check SharePoint Product configuration wizard detail in SharePoint 2016: Products Configuration Wizard.
Latest posts by Adnan Amin (see all)
- SharePoint 2016 Multi-Server Farm Installation Guide - November 20, 2017
- SharePoint Server 2016: Provision Service Applications - November 20, 2017
- SharePoint Server 2016: Provision User Profile Services - November 17, 2017