It’s very important to follow best practice installation for SharePoint Farm specially for staging and production environments. Most of the time we learn things with self-experience and follow the basic installation instructions. You can install SharePoint with basic/default settings for Dev environments or for single server installation but need to follow the best practices when need to do a multi farm deployment.
SharePoint Server 2016 made the life easier by giving the MinRole/Server Role option where you can easily define the Application servers and web front end servers which was not easy in earlier versions of SharePoint.
I have written series of blog post covering different topics for installation of a SharePoint 2016 Farm which include the best practices on farm user accounts, SQL Server, SharePoint and configuration of service applications. I have taken example of a three-server(3-tier) farm which can be easily extended by following the same steps. The three servers are:
- SQL Database Server
- SharePoint Application Server
- SharePoint Web Front End Server
No. of Servers totally depend on the usage requirement for an organization, I will share the detail on architecture design in a separate email.
Now, you need the follow below links for deploying SharePoint in a 3-tier farm or can extend the servers by simply following below links:
- Farm User Accounts
- Install the required software updates on all servers that will be part of the farm
- Installation of SQL Server
- Install the SharePoint Server 2016 and its prerequisites on all SharePoint servers
- Installation Latest Service Pack / Feature Pack
- Configure the SharePoint Application Server
- Create and configure the SharePoint Web Front End Server
- Provision Manage services
Above links will help you to do deploy SharePoint in multi-server environment.
Latest posts by Adnan Amin (see all)
- SharePoint folder deletion error: Cannot delete/checked out issue - March 5, 2019
- Get list of all hidden lists in a SharePoint Site - February 27, 2019
- SharePoint Modern UI: Using Sites web part page - February 19, 2019